Geneva – Lyon – Barcelona (800 Km)
Long Haul Fuel Cell Refrigerator Truck with optimized e-Powertrain & Hybrid Freight Cooling
Vehicle group: 9 VECTO
Flexible lightweight frame design with optimized powertrain components and optimal use of on-board energy with data-driven algorithms, as well as energy-optimized innovative cargo compartment cooling systems based on propane gas and hydrogen expansion together with highly efficient modular e-drive train concepts (FC + eaxle) for long haul applications.
- Vehicle & Components: Optimum sizing and packaging of a cooled 44-ton trailer with a modular e-axle, up to 3 modules of a 100 kW PEM fuel cell (peak efficiency 56%) and a 96 kWh Li-ion battery (640 V), and an on-board energy storage system with up to 80 kg of H2 storage at 700 bar → 800 km range. Novel FC and modular battery design integrated with lightweight cooling and housing concept.
- On-board energy: combination of innovative propane gas refrigeration module and H2 expansion utilization for cooling integrated with predictive real-time implementable energy management algorithm.
- Range: Up to 800 km with Single-Fueling;
- Logistics: AI predictive maintenance algorithm4FC system to reduce total costs of operation and enhance durability.
- Demonstrator Vehicle: FORD 44t fuel-cell refrigerator truck.
- Modular & Scalable High Efficiency FC4LongHaul;
- Modular e-axle (high power EM + WBG Inverter);
- Robust and Accurate Thermal Management Design via Virtual product Development Methodology;
- Optimized Hybrid Cooling System;
- Smart Predictive Energy Management Algorithm;
- Innovative freight cooling concept integrated in an overall energy optimization for range extension possibilities.
- Integration of component DT in the simulation model to realize overall energy optimization for long ranges.
test cycle to represent HDV mission profile will be used to represent typical long-haul, highway-dominated driving. The selected test cycle is distance-based and include road grade as shown in the right figure.
- Mission: Long-Haul transport with a 44t GVW.
- Route: Germany – France – Spain.
- Scenario: The envisioned scenario will be a one-way trip of 800 km with a single refill of H2 tank of 44t fuel cell long haul truck carrying temperature sensitive goods from Berlin (Germany) to Trabajo (Spain) with 3 breaks on TEN-T corridor and metropole areas (Geneva, Lyon, Barcelona) + headquarter with short interruptions for breaking necessities.
- KPI-1: Peak FC efficiency >56%;
- KPI-2: H2 consumption <9 kg/100km;
- KPI-3: Range min. 800 km with single refill @GVW.